Friday, May 15, 2009

How I will vote Tuesday, May 19th

Nothing is clearer to me than the fact that "mere mortals" are trying to fix the California Economy and none of them are geniuses or even close. That said I do recognize that because of past leadership decisions this state is in BIG Trouble. But should we accept solutions that are born on the backs of our littlest and most vulnerable people - children and the mentally ill? I will vote NO.
The Governor has threatened all of us with his May Revise Budget. My email at work is filled with shock and terror from the California Primary Care Association about what our legislators are proposing to do. We MUST NOT submit to these scare tactics and we must hold these leaders accountable to reasonable NOT political fixes. We're all very busy, but I urge you to become informed about the other Props on the ballot. A NO vote on Prop. 1E is a given (at least I hope) for you but what about the rest? Some information resources are here. Please take a look or a listen if you are still considering how to vote. You can get information about the election through The Secretary of State or you can call (800) 345-8683. You can listen to Rusty Selix a legislative lobbyist for mental health and Delaine Eastin a former assemblywoman talk about children's services with Prop 10 on a KQED call-in program that aired Monday.
HOW I WILL VOTE:
Voter's have voted for two revenue generating propositions that direct money to two specific issues: Prop 10 (First Five for Children) and Prop 63 (Mental Health Services Act). As voters we should be concerned about a precedent being set that allows our leadership to undermine our decisions. These propositions should NOT be placed on the ballot for a re vote (Prop 1D & 1E). Any concerns about "surplus" revenues, administration or programs that are implemented should be addressed through the appropriate administrative guidelines.
My vote:
1A Change in Ca Budget Process: I will vote NO because it will give the state permission to further cut Health & Human Services in future years and allow them to say that voters approved.
1B Education Funding: I will vote NO because in my opinion this was a backroom deal for support of 1A from the Calif. Teachers Assoc.(BTW my husband is a teacher).
1C Change in the Lottery: As of this writing, I am still researchingbecause I am unclear about what actually is happening.
1D "Protects Children's Services" I will vote NO . This is absolutely not true. This will cut Prop 10 money for 0-5 children, eliminate or cut services and there is no guarantee that this money will be dedicated to children.
1E Mental Health Services Funding - Temporary Reallocation: I will vote NO on this. There is no guarantee that this money will go to anything but the general fund. And while it is listed as "temporary", it takes money from the cycles of surplus. Because tax revenues are dramatically declining we will not see this level of "surplus" for many, many years - if at all and there are still many plans to be approved for counties.
1E Elected Officials' Salaries - I will vote YES .
Californians I hope to see you at the polls. To everyone else, I hope your family is healthy and you're able to pay attention to the politics of health care. Please don't hesitate to contact me with questions or concerns. Our governance is born through discussion and the sharing of ideals.
All my best...

No comments:

Post a Comment